Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Fireside



The Young Single Adults held their fireside at the Mission Home on Sunday evening. Jean and I have in addition to our duties in the office, the call to work with the YSA in the Warsaw 1 Branch. This involves a Monday family home evening, a Thursday institute meeting, movie night on some Fridays, service projects as they come about and other involvements such as youth conference and outings, etc. They are presently a small group of about 10 with only 3-4 actually coming out on a regular basis so we have some serious work to do. Jean is thinking about teaching some English classes as we get more involved.

The above photos are of the group who attended the Fireside where Jean and I spoke a little about our conversion. All spoke enough English that we didn't have to use a translater. It was a good evening with one non-member in attendance. The kitchen picture is Jean, Judi Nielson and sister Marshall, a senior sister who is transferring to Canada fixing some homemade dumplings which were sweetened and topped with berries and whipped cream....yummie!

We have been here 3 weeks now and the weather has been mild until the past few days where we saw more rain in a 48 hour period than LV gets in a year. And the worst of it is that there is no place for it to go so there it sits!

We, meaning Jean, I and our GPS took a trip across town to the IKEA store. Our Polish downloaded GPS has been serving us well until now where it took us everywhere except to our destination. Finally, I had enough so I pulled into a service station and asked in my best Polish, where I was. Everyone in the place looked at me like I was sort o af poor lost soul.....which of course, I was. Finally, I pulled out my map and said, "help"! So four of the men standing near by started in the 'help' process. After about 10 minutes they were arguing and yelling and carrying on so I just picked up the map and went back to the car as they continued to banter back and forth. For a moment I thought there was going to be a fist fight all because of Mr. Ikea. Anyway, we finally found the place by the only means left......LUCK!

We are now moved into our new Mission office....what a 'trip' that has was. The address is as follows:

Kosciol Jesusa Chrystusa

Swietych w Dniach Ostatnich

ul. Wiertnicza 135, 1. Pietro

02-925 Warszawa Poland

I send this to you in case anyone wants to send gifts, money, food, new clothes, expensive jewelry, even a new German brand car or any other such wonderful goodies that all senior missionary couples from Las Vegas should have.....................


-

3 comments:

  1. Can I post my address here too? We are a senior missionary couple from Las Vegas as well...so does that qualify us for the goodies you mentioned? If so, sign us up. What a nice perk that would be! Actually even a letter would be wonderful. We've been out 6 months now and haven't gotten a single one. Out of sight, out of mind....so good luck on getting nary a thing on that list....including a letter.

    You say they have an Ikea store there? Wow are you ever lucky! We are so isolated here in E. Malaysia we don't even have a McDonalds and I am pretty sure every other place in the world has one of those. But we do have a crocodile farm...betcha you don't have one of those. Ha!

    It's fun following you on your blog. Thanks for posting so regularly. It takes me back to our time spent in Poland. We loved it there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if I signed up correctly so hopefully I'm an offical BLOGGER follower now. Yippie you both look sooooo happy. I'm so happy for you. :) I look forward to following your journey. This beats Survivor any ol' day now doesn't it? Best of luck to you both. Lots of Love.

    Serina and Sterling

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you found Ikea. I imagine that the argument over directions would have made a wonderful spot in a sitcom. Probably good you walked away. Looking forward to the next post.
    Hugs from the biker buddies.

    ReplyDelete